This is a workshop for professionals in Surrey to gain an overview, understanding and appreciation of inclusion, accessibility and independence for and with people who are Deaf, hard of hearing, blind, partially sighted, deafblind.
With personal insight into everyday lived experience, its challenges and opportunities, you’ll learn about the practical support available, accessible technology and communications and how we work with adults and children across Surrey.
This workshop will inspire and empower you to become a champion for access and inclusion in Surrey, helping to break down the barriers so everyone can embrace an independent life at home, at work and in our communities.
- Vision impairment awareness, including ‘sighted guide’ taster
- Deaf and hard of hearing awareness taster
- Understanding combined sight and hearing loss and the deafblind experience
- Accessible technology, resources and developments, including equipment demos
- Overcoming barriers to access and inclusion discussion
- The work of Sensory Services by Sight for Surrey and connections with Surrey County Council
- Light lunch and refreshments.
Previous attendees said:
“It was helpful to take part in practical examples of what it’s like to have a vision impairment. It was also helpful to see how much Assistive Tech can help too.”
“It was brilliant. The session on the hard of hearing and deafblind experience was very insightful.”
A British Sign Language video is available to watch here.
Tickets: Early booking offer £25 per person (50% discount on 2024 price, ends 30/1/24).
Date and time: 09.30 to 15.30 on Wednesday 31st January 2024
This event is supported by South Western Trains Ltd.
To book visit Breaking Down Barriers Workshop – Eventbrite booking